Envisioning a new arts center!
The Center for Creativity is a strategic initiative powered by grassroots and community organizing to bring a dedicated arts center to San Mateo County.
Our vision is that San Mateo County is a strong, connected, and vibrant community driven by engagement with the arts.
Our Mission is to establish an inclusive, accessible, and innovative arts center that nurtures creativity, strengthens community bonds, and empowers individuals to experience, create, and connect.
Two Days to Join these Free Events
• Discover Insights: Hear the findings from our feasibility study
• Connect & Network: Meet fellow art enthusiasts and advocates from our vibrant community
• Artistic Expression: Engage in creative activities aimed at supporting our advocacy efforts
• Volunteer Sign-Up: Take the opportunity to lend your support and become a part of our dedicated volunteer team
• Creative Kids Corner: Bring your children along for a supervised art project they’ll love
• Refreshments: Enjoy light snacks and refreshments
• Spanish Translation: Translation services available for our Spanish-speaking guests
• Inspiring art exhibits by local and international artists
• Diverse theater and music events
• Family friendly performances and shows to inspire youth
• Seasonal markets and events with artists and makers
• A wide array of arts classes and programming for all ages
• Amenities for dedicated art practice: ceramics, printmaking, dance and performance (to name a few)
• Accessible classes that take account for busy schedules, financial need, and differing abilities
• A place to develop your creative talent with local mentors
• A dedicated space for community events from across the county to take place
• A strong community of artists and art lovers
Behind this effort is a passionate group of community leaders and artists working hard to make this dream a reality. Our journey began in 2010 with the formation of ARTS RWC, a collective of artists, art advocates, organizations, and civic leaders dedicated to advancing Redwood City as a dynamic and sustainable arts community.
In 2022, we took a significant step by establishing a formal Steering Committee. The role of our committee is to conduct research, develop plans, and rally support for a permanent facility in San Mateo County: The Center for Creativity.
Since then, our Steering Committee has engaged civic leaders, raised funds, and conducted a feasibility study to assess our community’s need for a permanent arts center. The feasibility study aimed to inform decisions about the center’s activities, location, size, and overall operations.
In 2023 the feasibility study was completed, and the Steering Committee is now in the process of socializing our results and working within our community to raise support for the center.
From this work we now know:
1. 83% of adult respondents from a community survey believe there is a need for an arts center and it will enhance life for the community.
2. There is a perceived and documented need by artists and arts organizations in and around Redwood City for accessible, affordable, and dedicated space to create, teach, learn, exhibit, rehearse, and perform.
3. An ideal facility to meet the needs and aspirations of the community would consist of a large, flexible multi-purpose performing arts room, multiple visual art studios, classrooms, shared work areas and makerspace, gallery and exhibition spaces, a generous public lobby, and suitable storage and office spaces totaling approximately 30,000 square feet.
You can learn more about our work and progress so far:
Center For Creativity Feasibility Study Presentation
A comprehensive presentation about the Center for Creativity.
Prepared by the Center for Creativity Steering Committee.
Center for Creativity AMS Feasibility Study: Full Report
Includes surveys, qualitative data, and reports from our research partner AMS Planning & Research.
Prepared by AMS Planning and Research.
Center for Creativity AMS Feasibility Study: Executive Summary
Executive Summary of Feasibility Study, September 2023 (5 minute read).
Prepared by AMS Planning and Research.